Tuesday 30 November 2010

The hills are alive...

...with the sound of puffing.
After a great 6 hour walk in the local snowy hills on Sunday - and therefore no long steady run this weekend - I felt that today I should make some effort and have a more intensive session. Admittedly, after sitting at a computer all morning, it was a joy to be out in weather like this...

which is why I'm grinning like an idiot (whilst squinting into the very bright sun)

Anyway, to business. Time for some Kenyan hills. And I know just the hill. It goes from the nearer tree on the right, up and round the corner to the upper tree on the right. It takes (me) about a minute to do, and gets my heart up to about 172bpm, which'll do nicely.


So I did 6 reps, which was about 12 minutes of continuous up and down running. It was fun putting fresh prints into the snow. After I'd done a couple I had the bright idea of using fresh snow for each uphill bit...


Photographic evidence of having done my hills! It was as knackering as Kenyan hills always are, but I have to say it was fantastic too!
Smileyrating 9/10

5 comments:

  1. Hi there Heyfella, so brilliant to read you're out there hitting the quality after your struggles following surgery.

    Also enjoying your pictorial coverage.. do I spy paw prints in there?! Or are they all really yours...?
    Very happy running. RB.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top training, nice one! I think you need to change the 'smiley rating' for this weather 10/10 just doesn't do it justice

    ReplyDelete
  3. RB: 'Hitting the quality' is a lovely expression but if you'd've seen me doing it I think 'larking about' might come closer! No paw prints; pretty much all mine though I think one other walker had been through. Did see rabbit and fox prints by the stream though.

    Kate: I agree: 10/10 for the weather, 9 for the run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. harder work in the snow hf..double the effort id say..good stuff!...next step kh's on skiddaw??

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're a better man than I am Gunga Din! My old legs are useless when it comes to doing anything like hill reps in snow. I love to get out in such conditions but must admit, I'm very much a steady plodder.

    ReplyDelete