Sunday 24 February 2013

A good weekend...

Really good training this weekend. My programme for saturday afternoon required 4 x 1 mile reps, with 3 minute walk/jog recoveries. I did these on the undulating back road to Staveley which is a not unattractive route (providing you discount the small sewage treatment works that you pass) but is good and undulating, rising and falling by some 80m in a couple of miles. My mile splits were 8:19 / 7:59 / 7:30 / 7:20, times which neatly reflect the fact that the first two tended uphill and the final two downhill. It was a very tough session; labouring rather than running. It came only a couple of days after my 10 x 400m session, so I guess there may have been some residual fatigue in the legs. The fact that it was 1 deg C with the wind chill making it feel like minus 2 and lightly snowing may also have had something to do with it.

This morning's run was an easy 8 miles which I did off-road along the River Kent to Staveley and back. This was lovely; I kept to a heart rate of about 152 bpm which is 70% of max, so I didn't feel stressed. I was pleased to note that my average pace was 10:36 /mile which for me isn't too bad for off-road with lots of stiles to negotiate. The weather was gorgeous. It was cold, fairly still and with some blue sky. It felt as if spring is just around the corner.
Smileyrating 9/10 (for the weekend)


1 comment: